Helping Children And Their Families Affected By Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral palsy is a serious but nonprogressive neurological disorder caused by infant brain damage during pregnancy, birth or just after birth. Most children with cerebral palsy require ongoing therapy and perhaps medication to manage their symptoms – costs which can quickly add up for their families.
If your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy and you believe medical negligence during birth may have played a role, contact Breslin & Breslin to discuss your case in a free consultation with one of our seasoned Bergen County attorneys handling cerebral palsy and other birth injury claims. One of our attorneys is also a registered nurse with significant experience in the medical field.
Understanding Cerebral Palsy And Birth Injuries
Cerebral palsy occurs when an infant suffers brain damage to the cerebrum in its early development, usually while in the womb or during the birthing process. While not all cases of cerebral palsy are caused by negligence during labor and delivery, several complications during a difficult birth can give rise to a lack of oxygen resulting in infant brain damage and cerebral palsy.
At Breslin & Breslin, we help parents uncover the facts and understand what really happened during a difficult birth. We work with highly qualified obstetric experts who can analyze the claim to determine if your medical team’s actions or inaction was the determinate cause of your child’s condition. We also have a lawyer who is a nurse on our team.
We represent families whose children may have cerebral palsy on account of:
- Failure to monitor fetal heart strips or react quickly to signs of fetal distress during birth
- Failure to perform an emergency cesarean section (C-section)
- Improper use of assisted delivery techniques such as forceps or vacuum-assisted delivery resulting in infant brain damage
- Negligent prenatal care such as failure to diagnose and treat infections like rubella (German measles) or toxoplasmosis
- Negligent neonatal care such as failure to treat severe or persistent jaundice immediately following birth
Call 201-546-5881 For A Free Consultation With A Knowledgeable Birth Injury Attorney
Breslin & Breslin‘s attorneys handle cerebral palsy claims throughout New Jersey. Contact us to learn more about your legal options in a free initial consultation.