Justice, Clarity and Peace Of Mind In Your Time Of Need
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » What to do after an accident with an uninsured driver

What to do after an accident with an uninsured driver

On Behalf of | Nov 10, 2020 | Car Accidents

In most car accident cases, the driver who caused the accident is liable for paying any damages that other parties incur. However, this may not be possible if a negligent driver doesn’t have a valid auto insurance policy. Let’s take a closer look at what you can do if your vehicle is struck by an uninsured motorist in New Jersey.

It may be possible to sue for damages

New Jersey is considered to be a no-fault state, which means that you file a claim with your own insurance company regardless of who caused the accident. However, it may be possible to sue for damages in extreme injury cases. Of course, if the defendant doesn’t have a significant net worth, it may be difficult to obtain the compensation that you might be entitled to.

Add underinsured motorist coverage to your policy

Adding underinsured driver coverage to an auto policy may entitle you to a higher payout from your insurance company. This may be helpful in the event that the negligent individual who caused the crash doesn’t have the means to reimburse you for medical bills or other financial losses.

State law requires drivers to have insurance

It is important to note that state law requires all drivers to purchase an auto insurance policy. However, some individuals only comply with the law long enough to register their vehicles. According to a study done in 2011, 14% of all drivers throughout the United States were uninsured, and the percentage of motorists who fail to adhere to liability insurance rules tends to increase during economic recessions.

If your car is struck by another vehicle, you may be entitled to various forms of compensation. An MVA attorney may be able to negotiate a settlement that covers the cost of medical bills or repairs to your vehicle. A settlement might also allow you to recoup any lost wages or lost future earnings related to an accident caused by a negligent driver.

Proven Results Since 1936



FindLaw Network