New Jersey residents may be aware that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is actively investigating the possible dangers of energy drinks. This news comes after a wrongful death lawsuit was filed by the parents of a 14-year-old girl who died after drinking two cans of Monster Energy, and several deaths and illnesses have been linked to 5-Hour Energy.
While it has yet to be proven whether these products are dangerous, the FDA has announced that it is studying reports of 18 deaths and more than 150 injuries that may involve energy drinks. On the heels of that news, a drink that is supposed to cause relaxation is under fire in New Jersey schools where several students have become sickened.
Marley’s Mellow Mood drinks and teas, which are marketed as a stress-reducing beverage, have recently been sold in at least two New Jersey schools–one middle school and one high school.
The label on the beverage reportedly states it is not intended for children, and an unreported number of students who purchased the drinks at school were sickened last week. The children’s symptoms are unclear at this point.
The drinks have now been removed from the schools and school officials have stated that the beverages had not been approved for sale within the schools. A dining manager has reportedly been removed in the aftermath of this problem.
Investigations into the safety of these beverages may spur product liability questions. When a product is unreasonably dangerous and it results in injuries or death, those who are affected have the right to seek compensation for the related costs.
If you or a family member has been injured by a dangerous or defective product, please contact Breslin & Breslin for a free consultation.
Source: Fox News Latino, “Bob Marley Drink Sold in NJ School Sickens Students, Raising Concerns,” Fox News Latino, Dec. 4, 2012