The product liability attorneys at Breslin and Breslin are reporting that a second child has died from a fire in Pennsylvania that fire officials blamed on an exploding hoverboard, a coroner said Thursday.
The deaths – if definitively linked to the two-wheeled, battery-powered scooter – would be the first in the United States caused by a hoverboard fire.
A county coroner said 10-year-old Savannah Dominick died at a hospital from severe burns.
Another child, 3-year-old Ashanti Hughes, died Saturday from the fire that broke out March 10 in the living room of a row house in Harrisburg, the state capital.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was working with the fire department to confirm the cause, and trying to figure out if the make and model is one of the hundreds of thousands the agency has recalled due to fire hazards.
Acting commission chairman Ann Marie Buerkle warned people who own hoverboards not to charge them overnight or in unattended areas, and to maintain smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. She said last year’s recall remains active and consumers can get replacement batteries or refunds.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a consumer product, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. In New Jersey, victims of products accidents may be eligible for monetary compensation for their lost wages, medical bills and cost of pain and suffering. To learn more about filing a personal injury claim, contact the trusted attorneys at Breslin and Breslin online or call 201-342-4014 today.